News

New date for the George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial semis

The semi-final stage of the George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial will now be run on Sunday, November 8 after an issue with the traps.

Author
Matt Newman
01 Nov 2026
Hove

Hove pushes stayers event back a week 

Hove has rescheduled the semi-finals of the George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial until next Sunday (November 8). 


It follows the news that today's meeting at the Sussex track has been reduced to nine races with the three 740m semi-finals postponed after issues with the sprint traps surfaced at Saturday's meeting at the seaside venue, causing the abandonment of the two-bend contests and subsequent delays.


The George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial semis will now be run a week later than scheduled with the £10,000 final the following weekend - Saturday night or Sunday afternoon is still being considered. Saturday night opens have already been scheduled given the countdown to the Coral Olympic.


Of the traps situation, Hove racing manager Rob Abrey said: "The arm of the traps buckled and means we were unable to get the traps onto the track. The traps themselves are fine but the arm and the pillar needs work on and we now have until Wednesday's meeting to get it fixed.


"Postponing the George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial semi-finals was our only option given we can't stage 285m or 740m races until the situation is rectified. We last night made contact with all the trainers with runners in the George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial semis, especially given some were travelling long distances.


"To be fair, all the trainers were absolutely brilliant. We explained the situation and, while we perhaps could have moved things around in terms of today's racecard, the data had already been sent out and adding new races would have added real confusion to our media and betting partners. The most sensible route was to effectively void races four, five and six - the 3.19, 3.38 and 3.57.


"We will stage trials as usual on Monday but there will be no 285m or 740m trials. The other traps for the 500m, 515m and 695m are fine.


"As regards the George Curtis & Ballyregan Bob Memorial, we are effectively moving the competition a week forward.


"The semis will be on Sunday now, and we'll look at the following weekend and whether we stage the final on the Saturday night or the Sunday. We've got opens on the Saturday already scheduled, so that might be an option."

Share this article

We’re Greyhound News UK

Our vision is to create a secure, sustainable and successful future for greyhound racing in the UK.

Together we win