Sunderland to resume racing on Monday after traps incidents
Statement issued after 'deep investigatory work' undertaken at Wearside venue

New traps protocols will be expanded across Arc tracks
SUNDERLAND is to race again on Monday after two incidents involving malfunctioning traps led to the Wearside track cancelling meetings from Wednesday onwards.
A statement issued on Friday afternoon reads: “Following trap malfunction incidents on Friday 21 and Tuesday 25 November, Sunderland Greyhound Stadium has undertaken further deep investigatory work.
“This has included a review of all underground parts of airlines which are part of the pneumatic system via which the traps operate. New airlines, components and compressors have now been installed and the traps thoroughly tested.
“There are processes in place between and before each race meeting which involve testing the traps, and all other mechanical elements of the racing operation.
“The tests were carried out as normal ahead of racing on 21 and 25 November and were all satisfactory. During the additional extensive testing between the two incidents the fault was not replicated.
“All elements of this work and testing has been referred to GBGB for their oversight, with stipendiary steward Simon Storey present for further testing today (Friday)."
Joanne Wilson, regional manager for Sunderland’s promoters Arc, said: “First and foremost, we would like to confirm that all of the greyhounds involved in these two incidents are well.
“They were all checked by veterinary staff immediately and we have been in close contact with their trainers since to confirm that they remain well, which they do.
“We would, of course, like to apologise to the connections of the greyhounds involved in both of these incidents. Whilst the entire Sunderland team have been distraught at what happened, they have been working incredibly hard to get to the bottom of the matter.
“We really care about what we do and the greyhounds that race with us and their welfare will always be our priority. We want our owners and trainers and all other stakeholders to have confidence in that commitment.
“Since Wednesday, we have had the trap manufacturer, Gavin Smith, and our specialist track consultant Jason Begg on site.
“Racing was cancelled on Wednesday 26 November to allow full underground and pneumatic investigations to take place.
“It was discovered that the underground airlines had been compromised, which had resulted in sand contamination in the system manifesting as an intermittent fault.
“Racing has been cancelled today (Friday) and Sunday so that new airlines, compressors, rams and all associated components can be installed. The traps have been serviced and everything will be fully commissioned and continue to be rigorously tested over the next few days so that we can return to racing on Monday 1 December.
“We are advised that, following this work, there will be no higher risk of a malfunction than any other set of traps.”
Arc’s head of racing (greyhounds) Dave Baldwin said: “Greyhound welfare will always be the priority at all of our greyhound stadia and we do not underestimate the seriousness of these two incidents. Regular checks of all of the mechanical elements of our greyhound racing fixtures are part of the standard raceday procedure but in light of these incidents, we will be expanding these protocols across all of our venues with immediate effect.”
As well as supporting the investigation at Sunderland Greyhound Stadium, the sport’s regulator GBGB has also put in place additional measures to mitigate potential risks.
Commenting on this, CEO Mark Bird had said: “In the immediate term, we have asked all GBGB-licensed racecourses to review and report back on their current trap operational policies and maintenance procedures. This work will precede a full root and branch review of traps within the sport to include manufacturing, procurement, maintenance and operation of these systems.”



